Introduces Netball to 5-6 year olds. The aim is to develop fundamental movement and basic Netball skills. Playing 4 v 4 allows the players to pass, catch and shoot from day one.
Year 1 & 2
If you are experienced and feel confident, a Junior Co-ordinator role would be ideal. As the Junior Co-ordinator, you would manage the implementation of game day, leading the warm-up, run skill development activities, support the players during game time and ensure the players cool down. Assisting Junior Co-ordinators are the Star Helpers. The Star Helpers role is ideal for those who are keen to help out but are happy to be guided through game day working with a small number of players during activity time. Another option is the Game Day Helper who helps out if needed during the skill sessions or holds a hula hoop during game time.
Junior Co-ordinator Role Description
The Junior Co-ordinator manages the implementation of the programme.
- Co-ordinating and delivering the skill development component of game day.
- Organising Star Helpers and Year 3 & 4 coaches as necessary.
- Ensuring all equipment required for the delivery of the session is available.
- Providing support, encouragement and feedback to Star Helpers and to role model effective coaching.
- Ensuring playing area is safe prior to commencement of the session.
- Leading the warm-up, skill development activities and games.
- Providing a demonstration of the game day activities, highlighting the key coaching points.
- Dividing the players into the appropriate group size and ensuring that either a Star Helper or Junior Co-ordinator is allocated to each group.
- Once the players have started the activity and appear to understand what is required, allow the players to play.
- Adapting activities for those players that need extending or need something a little bit easier.
- Allowing the session to flow, looking for cues when to move onto the next activity. There is only one skill focus each week so if the players haven’t completely mastered the skill, the next activity might help them.
- Dividing the players into teams for game time.
- Co-ordinating children to get to and from activities, including drink breaks and to guiding them to the correct court for their game.
- Having fun and enjoying facilitating players’ learning.
Star Helper Role Description
Year 1 & 2 Star Helpers support the Junior Co-ordinator and supervise a small group during skill activities and game time.
- Supervising a small group of children under the guidance of the Junior Co-ordinator.
- Watching the demonstrations and remembering the key coaching points, ready to guide their own group through the same activity.
- Recreating the skill activities with the assigned group.
- Providing feedback and encouragement, utilising questioning to reinforce coaching points and decision making.
- Providing guidance and support during the modified 4 v 4 Netball game.
- Having fun, being enthusiastic and enjoying assisting the development of the players.